Should an Adult Child be POA or in charge of estate of a Parent?

My father was in a wreck 5 years ago. He is very unstable to make decisions. When his dad passed he got everything left to him. My aunt who is my dad’s half brother’s wife is over his estate. I am his first born and need to be over that not her.

It is not uncommon for an Adult child to be the agent under a Power of Attorney or Personal Representative of the estate of a parent. However, there is not an absolute right. We assume the person you mention was either appointed as agent under a POA or by the Court in a Conservatorship. If there are issues with that person that you feel merit their removal then you could ask that the person be removed but there has to be grounds.


If you view this content and need to ask a related question or need services that relate to this question, Contact me.

All content is for informational purposes only. It is also only intended to relate to Mississippi Estate Planning Law.  If other states are mentioned, they are mentioned as an example only. No legal advice is provided in this content. Laws change so you need to check for any updates by current laws in Mississippi.