What deed will work for a mother to leave her property to her children in Mississippi?

To transfer ownership of a property from your mother to her children upon her death, she would typically need to use a specific type of deed called a “Transfer-on-Death Deed” (TOD Deed), also known as a “Beneficiary Deed” or “Lady Bird Deed” in some states.

A TOD Deed is a legal document that allows an individual to designate one or more beneficiaries who will receive the property upon the owner’s death, without the need for probate or a will. It’s important to note that TOD Deeds are not available in all states, so you’ll need to check whether your mother’s state allows this type of deed.

An alternative option could be for her to create a will or a living trust.

Note that is she is married at the time of her death, her husband has rights in the home such as homestead rights.


If you view this content and need to ask a related question or need services that relate to this question, Contact me.

All content is for informational purposes only. It is also only intended to relate to Mississippi Estate Planning Law.  If other states are mentioned, they are mentioned as an example only. No legal advice is provided in this content. Laws change so you need to check for any updates by current laws in Mississippi.