What is the elective share of the surviving spouse in Mississippi?

My husband’s will give away all our joint property to his son.

You can reject (renounce) the property given to you in his will and receive what you would have received as if he died without a Will but not more than 1/2 of such amount you would have received.  What percentage you receive depends on number of children. If one child, you receive 1/2.  There are also other laws that provide for the support of the spouse that could apply.


If you view this content and need to ask a related question or need services that relate to this question, Contact me.

All content is for informational purposes only. It is also only intended to relate to Mississippi Estate Planning Law.  If other states are mentioned, they are mentioned as an example only. No legal advice is provided in this content. Laws change so you need to check for any updates by current laws in Mississippi.